Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chicken Muffins

This is one of our favorites the kids take them to school for snack daily. You can start making them once you get into stage 4 and can bake. It sounds odd but they remind me of a chicken mayonnaise salad in a muffin. This is a super way to use leftovers and really anything can be put in these. I change the ingredients all the time. If I have extra chicken or veggies to add I just add another egg or two. They work well in a muffin tin but you can all scoop them out like biscuits on a making sheet.

Chicken Muffins


2 cups sautéed/boiled/cooked veggies, onion, garlic
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
½ cup fat any mixture of ghee, duck, or left over cooking fat
1 lbs 3-4 cups cooked chicken or chicken skin, odd parts, and pieces


Place all ingredients except the chicken in a food processor and blend well. Slowly add in the chicken about 1 cup at a time. Blend the mixture until smooth after each addition. Your batter should be thick like a muffin batter. It does not have to be perfect I have made them both a bit thin and a bit thick and it always works out. Scoop the batter into muffin tins (I use stone and do not need to grease them)  or if it is thick enough just scoop out onto a baking stone. Bake in a preheated oven at 350° for about 50 min. they are done when the tops are golden and any cracks look dry.

An note on ingredients-
Veggies- When I am cooking veggies I often make a lot of extra and then pack it in the fridge in 2 cup containers. These have worked well with all combinations of veggies and I have even put in some uncooked veggies when I do not have cooked ones on hand. A good starting point would be an onion, 3 cloves garlic, zucchini, broccoli, or beans. 

Fat- I have used straight ghee in these but I have also used combinations of duck fat, chicken fat skimmed from broth, grease from cooking sausages. I am sure butter would work as well.

Chicken- I started this recipe to use up the chicken from stock making. I like to use the skin and odd pieces first and then add in the rest of the chicken meat.



No comments:

Post a Comment